BIG SEAN INTERVIEW W/ COMPLEX MAGAZINE


Big Sean "Supa Dupa Lemonade" from dante marshall on Vimeo.

along with j.cole, big sean is one of my favorite new rappers. he's been on his grind for the past couple years, but being signed to kanye's g.o.o.d. music label and debuting an album/mixtape soon, big sean has got big things in store. naturally, he was on XXL's freshman for 2010 cover (most stylish), but he's got rhymes for days, and his cockiness is just entertaining enough that it isn't annoying

anyhow, big sean recently was interviewed by complex magazine, here are a couple snippets after the break

check the full article here.



"Complex: On the UKNOWBIGSEAN mixtape, Pharrell talked about how you were pretty timid in the studio before you guys got acquainted, but impressed him with your presence on the track. Are people pleasantly surprised when they meet you?

Big Sean: I’m really the most humble, nice person. [Laughs.] My grandma always told me, “Boy, you better act right, because just as fast as you get something, you can lose it twice as fast.” Plus, nobody likes a fucking asshole. That’s the worst shit ever. The boastfulness on my raps is just confidence, it’s not necessarily asshole-ish, I’m not trying to be…well, I feel like you should be confident in whatever you do, and a lot of my new music [that’s coming out] I want people to judge more so than the music I’ve put out recently, because I feel like it’s really changed a lot. I just always stay honest with myself. All my stuff isn’t boastful, but some of it is. But that’s just the music, the art. When Kobe go on the court, he’ll talk all the shit he want, but when he’s in person, he may be a nice guy, you know?
Complex: What motivates and inspires you to keep on going?
Big Sean: My mom keeps me going, man. She deserves such a good life. I just wanna give it to her. My dad too. My family, my friends, they keep me motivated. Just knowing my personal legend, just knowing what I’m supposed to do, that keeps me going. Another thing that keeps me going is people like Kanye, uh, what he gets a show? If you knew how much he gets a show? Like hundreds of thousands of thousands, a show? Just to perform on stage and do the songs you love?! That keeps me going all the time. [Laughs.] I heard drake gets $75,000 a show, and he ain’t even got an album out. I was like, “Shit!” That keeps me going for sure. I’ll be in the studio until nine in the morning, falling asleep, and then think about that, and be like, “Man, we gotta get this shit done!” [Laughs.] So yeah, that’s a big motivation. A better life, basically, is the motivation."

check the full article here.